Delhi Mumbai Expressway: 10 Things to Know About Route and Opening Date
To build the Delhi Mumbai expressway, 12 lakh tons of steel will be utilized, which is equal to the weight of 50 Howrah Bridges.
On February 12th, Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to open a section of the long-awaited Delhi-Mumbai Expressway, which spans 1,386 kilometers and will shorten travel time between Delhi and Mumbai to approximately 12 hours.
Additionally, cities located along the expressway route will become more accessible. As a result of the inauguration of the Sohna-Dausa section of the expressway by PM Modi on Sunday, travel time between Delhi and Jaipur will be reduced to 2 hours.
Ten facts about the Delhi-Mumbai Expressway.
- The Delhi Mumbai Expressway is a greenfield, eight-lane access-controlled expressway that may be expanded to twelve lanes in the future.
- 15,000 hectares of land have been acquired across five states, including Delhi, Haryana, Rajasthan, Gujarat, and Maharashtra.
- The Delhi-Mumbai Expressway will have 94 wayside amenities to enhance commuters’ travel experience.
- The expressway will have more than 40 major interchanges, connecting cities such as Kota, Indore, Jaipur, Bhopal, Vadodara, and Surat.
- The Sohna-Dausa section of the Delhi Mumbai Expressway project is expected to open to traffic starting on Tuesday.
- The Delhi-Mumbai Expressway project had an initial budget of ₹98,000 crores in 2018. Approximately 12 lakh tons of steel will be used in its construction, equivalent to 50 Howrah Bridges. The project is anticipated to create 10 crore man-days of employment.
- The Delhi-Mumbai Expressway will reduce the distance between Delhi and Mumbai by 180 km, from 1,424 km to 1,242 km.
- According to transport minister Nitin Gadkari, this is the first expressway designed with a 21-meter median based on the principles of forgiving highways that allow for inward expansion.
- The Delhi Mumbai Expressway will feature a cutting-edge automated traffic management system.
- The Delhi Mumbai Expressway is the first expressway in India and Asia to incorporate animal overpasses and underpasses. The route was designed to minimize the impact on the Ranthambore Wildlife Sanctuary.
Recommended reading: Patrick Mahomes Receives NFL’s 2022 Most Valuable Player Award